THE CAPITAL OF TEXAS

The Texas Capital is widely recognized as one of the nations most distinguished capitals. The capital was completed in 1988. The walls are made of “Sunset Red” granite that was quarried just 50 miles from the capital site. The foundation is made of limestone.

 

The Texas Capital is the largest of all state capitals, and is second in size only to the United States Capital in Washington DC. The Texas Capital is 15 feet taller than the National US Capital.

 

The first Capital of Texas was built of wood planks and was nothing special to look at. It was built on a hilltop, West of Congress Avenue.

 

The second capitol was built on Capitol Square, and completed in 1853. It burned down in 1881.

 

The third (our current) capital began construction in 1882. The contractors were offered an unusual payment arrangement for their construction fees and costs. They were offered 3 million acres in the Texas Panhandle as payment. They accepted.

 

The Capital was designed by Architect Elijah Myers, who won a nationwide design competition for the project in 1881. The capital took from 1882 to 1888 to complete, and it took over 1,000 people, including engineers, contractors, laborers, contractors, and craftsmen at a cost of $3,744,600.

 

The Capitol opened to the public on San Jacinto Day, April 21, 1988. There was a weeklong celebration that followed, including bands, military parades, drill team competitions, and fireworks. People lined Capitol Avenue and the Capitol grounds to watch the festivities.

 

Temple Houston, son of Sam Houston, accepted the building for all the people of Texas.

 

There has been one major extension of the Capitol that actually doubled the square footage, but you would never see it. It was constructed entirely underground, on the north side of the existing building.

 

In 1995, a 98 million dollar renovation and restoration took place on the interior and on the exterior of the building.

 

In 1997, an 8 million dollar renovation and restoration was completed to renew the original park like grounds that surround the Capital.

 

 

About the Author:

“Lisa Monroe is a Prolific Writer, Forensic Editor, Investigative Reporter & Respected Instructor in Social Sciences & Humanities.  She enthusiastically studies past and current behavior& interaction, is a dedicated Teacher & married mother of three children living in Sugar Land, Texas.”  More of Lisa’s articles can be found here http://www.txrus.com